We also did the Guiness tour and admired the view from the rooftop bar. I even tried a sip of the black stuff but was thankful for just a coke at the top. Short and sweet trip but back to work Monday.
Dublin is a charismatic little city with tons of personality, a buzzing night-life, and a world famous beer called Guinness.
With Dublin being my Grandma’s hometown, I was bound to have a bit of a soft spot for the place, so I am pleased that it not only lived up to my expectations but exceeded them. Perfect for a weekend getaway, Dublin was compact enough to get around on foot without any hassle.
A mish-mash of the old and the new, Dublin had a modern cosmopolitan vibe that we weren’t expecting. Apparently Dublin has thrived since embracing the Euro, and it really showed in the busy city centre and shopping district. It wasn’t a cheap city, either – Dublin was almost as expensive as Paris!
The Temple Bar was more like what we were expecting, with cobbled streets and a multitude of traditional Irish pubs. A great place to eat and drink, I felt Dublin was best enjoyed inside a cosy Irish pub with a Guinness.
I know it’s cliché but I have to agree that Guinness really does taste better in Ireland – I didn’t drink anything else. There’s just something really special about having a Guinness in Ireland with a bunch of Irish accents in the background. You have got to love those accents! Every time someone talked to us or we overheard Irish people talking, we couldn’t help grinning.
A highlight of the trip was having a meal and a few drinks in a place called The Church, which actually used to be a church. Drinking and having a meal inside the former St Mary’s Church of Ireland was almost like having a meal inside the Christchurch Cathedral. It was a beautiful place for a meal, and I had the best cod this side of Akaroa.
To top it all off, we visited the Guinness Storehouse on our last day in town. It was my kind of museum, with beer tastings and a free pint on the seventh floor overlooking the city. The brewery itself has been producing Guinness in Dublin for 250 years! It was a great end to a great weekend.
Click here to see pics of Si drinking various pints of Guinness and other Dublin pics
No comments:
Post a Comment