Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bruges & Ghent















Our stay in Bruges was great because I got to use my poncho. It poured down the second day but luckily our arrival was sunlit for our beautiful river cruise and exploring the town. We went to Choco-story which told us all about the history of choc and Belgian pralines and even got to taste some. Ate some good chips here too!
We will remember Bruges for trapsing for miles with our arms full of washing to the laundromat before realising we didn't have any detergent and there wasnt a place in a 2km radius where you could buy it for less than 9NZD for a huge box! Needless to say we returned the next night with our detergent.

Ghent was a fun city to explore with many cathedrals and a pretty canal throughout the town. But it rained again there too despite the sun shining every now and then. Lucky for the poncho!

Bruges is a smaller, nicer, and less polluted Venice.

Sometimes referred to as "the Venice of the North", Bruges has beautiful canals and waterways. In fact, Bruges is exactly what I thought Venice would be like before I actually went there - a quaint little city with lovely, romantic waterways, largely untouched by modern development.

The weather is ass though. Luckily for us we went on a river cruise on our sunny first day in town, because the weather was pretty bleak the rest of our time there, including our day trip to Ghent.

I read somewhere recently that Belgium is third equal in the world for consumption of fatty foods (equal with Italy among a few other countries). It's hard to believe they're that far down the list, with so many chip shops, chocolate shops, and waffle places. And the restaurants seem to be always packed at every time of day. I'm so jealous


Bruges & Ghent pics here and here

No comments: