Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bratislava-lava













If you’d told me three years ago that I would visit Slovakia one day, I’d think you were having a laugh. Why on Earth would I want to go there?

Bratislava is a little rough around the edges, but it’s a nice little city in its own right. True, the Christmas markets there were a tiny bit disappointing – after the quaint festivities of Budapest – and the locals don’t speak English very well, but we had one of the best pub meals of my life.

At our hotel’s recommendation we tracked down the appropriately named Slovak Pub, and were immediately treated like family by the pub’s waiting staff. The pub itself was brilliant, warm and welcoming with heaps of little rooms and fireplaces; the food was even better.

The Shepherd’s Parcel – delicious marinated pork, wrapped with vegetables in a potato pancake – was simply delightful. Some nights I still call out its name.

This is a strange blog post, I know, but we were only in Bratislava one day and that meal made quite an impression.

No comments: