


On the hottest day we had experienced in Thailand Uncle Matt sent us off to the Ancient City where we could ride bikes! The Ancient City is built in the shape of Thailand with replicas of famous landmarks and sites - almost as good as visiting the real things! Huge place and fun to bike around but very hot climbing to the top of some mountain. No edible food in the place except for a bag of chips!
Later headed back to MBK to get a rip off Lacoste top for only 8 bucks and some rip off Billabong socks for Si, 3 pairs for $4. Love shopping in Thailand, wish we were cruising back to NZ so we could fill up another suitcase
Matt and Ant took us out to dinner to a friend's chinese seafood restaurant. We were both a bit sceptical at first as we did not consider ourselves seafood eaters at best but were relieved when numerous pork dishes made their way out. Plenty of wine, beer and food for the 8 or so of us that dined together. Very fun cultural night. Home to bed at 11pm to pack our bags for Samui and our 6am flight.
Tonight I totally embraced Thai culture - well, almost totally.
We went out for tea with Nic's aunt and unc to a seafood restaurant. Definitely not my cup of tea normally, but tonight I was on form.
They're best friends with the owner and apparently they meet with him and a few friends every now and then as some sort of little social tradition. Anyway, I was very apprehensive about the seafood. I didn't want to look like an idiot, refusing to eat what was served in front of the bloody owner! Nic's uncle was teasing me a little bit - he could tell that I was nervous.
I tried almost everything, including what I was told were duck tongues (pork more liekly, I think they were trying to scare us) - how brace is that ?! I think the fact I was drinking a bit helped too.
Everytime I finished my beer or it looked like I was nearly finished a waitress would top it up. It was a Thai beer, and it was actually really good. I was given an impromptu lesson about how to use chop sticks, I ate until I thought I might burst, and I drank like a fish. It was a good night, and a good end to our time in Bangkok.
Next leg of our journey - Koh Samui
More Bangkok pictures here
No comments:
Post a Comment