
Venice is a city like no other. The canals and narrow winding streets are amazing and fun to explore. But the vaporetto (or water bus) is super expensive and we shelled out 21 euro each for a 36 hour pass. It is fun though when you get a seat at the front or back of the boat and cruise down the grand canal. The tourist shops are fun to peruse and I finally got around to purchasing a beautiful glass necklace after traversing the city for ages finding an ATM as we had run out of money in expensive Veniza. Gondola riding would have been nice, but at 80 euro for a 50 minute ride it will have to wait till next time.
Our camping ground was not the funnest place to live as it was near an airport and mosquitoville and I literally have 12 bites on my freakin head! But it was cheap. We stayed in a 1.5sqm tent with two beds. And mosquitos. But the pool and restaurant was nice. We even had to erect our own camping clothesline from some string we found lying around!! Slumming it.
St Mark's square was packed full of people as we sat eating gelato by a fancy cafe that had an orchestra playing for their fancy ass diners. One place we saw had a cappucino for 8.50 euros! That's 17 NZD!!!! Needless to say, we didn't eat there.
Pizza, canals, and more pizza - man, Venice is great!
Living two 15 minute bus rides from the city was not ideal but we survived. There were too many mozzies and too many Aussies. Seriously, all you heard were freakin Australian accents and we were eaten alive by mosquitos - I really don't know which was worse. The pool was great though.
Venice was just mind-blowing. It was how I always imagined it would be and so much more. Catching the "bus" up the Grand Canal was a great way to tour the city, and window-shopping in the city was infinitely cooler than anywhere I have ever been before.
I'm also loving the pizza! There was a pizza place on every corner and it was relatively affordable to buy a slice for lunch. Otherwise we did find the prices to be extremely exorbitant. Venice just drains tourists for all they're worth, charging an arm and a leg for neccesities like food, water, and beer.
The beach was a lot of fun, but the water and the beach itself were filthy. New Zealand beaches are a lot cleaner! Europeans seem to treat their beaches like giant ash trays, and it was the same in France.
Next up, Florence.
Sorry, forgot - Venice pics now up here
1 comment:
Hi guys!
Loving the Blog! I forget to check it often but I do when I remember! Del and Bec have the link now so have them on to it!
You guys must be having such an amazing time!
Keep up the blog and cant wait to read the next one!
Join Facebook so you can see our photos!! :p
love n hugs!
Laura
Post a Comment